The goal of this one-day workshop is to give some basic theoretical and practical knowledge on protein sequence databases and, in particular, on the optimum use of the UniProt web site:
- Where do the protein sequences come from?
- What are the differences between UniProtKB/TrEMBL and UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot?
- What the manual and automated annotation pipelines ?
- How to estimate the protein sequence accuracy and the annotation quality?
- How to retrieve large dataset (i.e. complete proteome) for a particular organism?
- How to extract biological knowledge from a Blast result?
- What are the differences between UniProt and the NCBI protein sequence databases?
- How to retrieve accession numbers or GIs or other record identifiers corresponding to the proteins of interest?